Purple has long been recognized as a hue of royalty and power, having been used to adorn kings and queens for centuries. It is no surprise then that purple has become an increasingly popular color in modern times, with people from all walks of life embracing this majestic hue. From decorating homes and fashioning clothes to choosing accessories and expressing our personalities, purple has come to represent more than just royalty: it has become a symbol of strength, confidence, and beauty. In this guide, we’ll explore all the different shades of purple and the many things they can be used for. So, without further ado, let’s dive into the world of purple!
- What Exactly Is Purple?
- Why Do We Love Purple?
- How Do We Use Purple in Our Everyday Lives?
- What Are Some Examples of Purple Things?
- What Are Some of the Best Shades of Purple?
- What Are Some Interesting Facts About Purple?
- What Are Some Ideas for Decorating With Purple?
- What Are Some Ideas for Wearing Purple?
What Exactly Is Purple?
Although there is no single definition of purple, it is generally accepted that the color falls somewhere between red and blue on the visible spectrum. In terms of its exact wavelength, purple is located at approximately 420 to 480 nanometers. A variety of pigments can be used to create this hue, including those derived from plants, minerals, and animals. As a result, this range of purples can range from light lavender to deep eggplant.
Why Do We Love Purple?
While our appreciation of purple often starts early in life, it is thought to have a lasting impact on us throughout adulthood too. Studies have found that people who prefer purple tend to be more creative, courageous, and independent. Additionally, they are often seen as more individualistic, open-minded, and accepting of others. Perhaps this is because purple is often associated with qualities like intelligence, wisdom, and spirituality.
How Do We Use Purple in Our Everyday Lives?
From decorating our bedrooms to adding a pop of color to our outfits, purple can be used in a variety of ways to express our personalities and show off our style. We might choose to wear a light lavender sundress or pair a deep eggplant blazer with a bright orange shirt. We could also incorporate it into our home decor by painting the walls a luxurious shade of violet or hanging artwork featuring shades of fuchsia.
What Are Some Examples of Purple Things?
When it comes to purple things, the possibilities are endless. Here are just a few examples of items that can be found in a wide range of shades of purple:
- Flowers: From lavender and lilac to wisteria and violets, purple flowers can add a touch of elegance and serenity to any space.
- Food: Fruits and vegetables such as eggplants, plums, and purple potatoes can make for a vibrant and flavorful meal.
- Animals: Animals ranging from the majestic peacock to the regal African lion sport beautiful shades of purple in their feathers and coats.
- Jewelry: Whether it’s a delicate amethyst necklace or a bold amethyst ring, purple jewelry can add a touch of sophistication to any outfit.
- Accessories: From handbags and shoes to scarves and hats, purple accessories can make any ensemble stand out.
- Clothing: From blouses and sweaters to pants and skirts, purple clothing is the perfect way to show off your unique style.
What Are Some of the Best Shades of Purple?
When it comes to purple, there is no one-size-fits-all shade. Different shades of purple can evoke different feelings and emotions and can create different atmospheres. Here are some of the most popular shades of purple:
- Mauve: Mauve is a soft, dusty pinkish-purple that is often associated with femininity and romance.
- Lavender: Lavender is a pale, bluish-purple that is often associated with innocence and peace.
- Plum: Plum is a deep, reddish-purple that is often associated with power and mystery.
- Violet: Violet is a vivid, blue-based purple that is often associated with creativity and imagination.
- Eggplant: Eggplant is a dark, reddish-purple that is often associated with sophistication and elegance.
What Are Some Interesting Facts About Purple?
There are some interesting facts about purple that you may not know. Here are just a few:
- Purple was once the most expensive color in the world and was only available to the wealthy.
- In nature, there are few living organisms that produce purple pigments.
- The ancient Egyptians used a type of purple dye made from a species of sea snail called the Murex.
- Ancient Greeks believed that purple was the color of mourning and death.
- In heraldry, purple is associated with royalty and nobility.
- Purple is the color of the third eye chakra, which is associated with intuition and spiritual awareness.
What Are Some Ideas for Decorating With Purple?
If you’re looking for ways to incorporate purple into your home decor, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Paint the walls a light lavender shade to create a calm and peaceful atmosphere.
- Hang curtains or drapes in a deep eggplant color to add a touch of sophistication.
- Incorporate shades of mauve and plum into your bedroom to create a cozy and romantic atmosphere.
- Layer shades of violet and lilac in your living room to create a vibrant and inviting atmosphere.
- Use purple accents like throw pillows, blankets, and rugs to add a pop of color to any space.
What Are Some Ideas for Wearing Purple?
If you’re looking for ways to incorporate purple into your wardrobe, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Wear a light lavender dress for a summer picnic or a day at the beach.
- Pair a deep eggplant blazer with a bright orange shirt for a bold and stylish look.
- Throw on a mauve cardigan over a white tank for a casual yet chic look.
- Accessorize with a plum scarf and a pair of violet heels for a sophisticated evening look.
- Wear a lilac skirt and a lavender top for a feminine and flirty look.
Purple is a rich and beautiful hue that can be used in a variety of ways to express our personalities and show off our style. Whether we’re decorating our homes, fashioning our wardrobes, or adding touches of color to our everyday life, purple has a lot to offer. By exploring all the different shades of purple and the many ways we can use them, we can create a world full of beauty and inspiration.